Chehalis has a population of over 7,000 and is 196’
above sea level. Chehalis was
incorporated in 1873 and was originally named Saundersville. The name was changed to Chehalis (derived
from an Indian word meaning sand) in 1879.
Most of the historic buildings in Chehalis were built in
the late 1800’s. You can see a
variety of types of architecture on Pennsylvania Avenue (see below).
Church located on the
is one of the oldest churches in the State.
Its bell, located in the bell tower, was cast in Boston and came around the horn by ship.
This 1935 roadhouse was a much welcome stop in the good
old days to the two lane Highway-99. People looked forward to this welcome
stop and the refreshment it provided.
Visit our Restaurants page for current
Shopping & Facilities
This is a large museum with 85 glass cases displaying
artifacts from the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and to the present day
They have military uniforms from WWI to the present.
The Chehalis-Centralia Railroad
1101 Sylvenus Street
This restored logging steam engine and vintage passenger
cars run a 1 ½ hr round trip on Saturdays and Sundays from Late May thru
September at 1 & 3 pm. The trip
runs over old Milwaukie Railroad tracks.
They have a good website with more information.
Exit 77 head west on WA-6 then south on Riverside Road.
John R. Jackson Historic
Location: Take Interstate-5
Exit 68 onto
US-12 and head east for 2.6 mi. then turn south (right)
on the Jackson Highway. Go 0.2 mi. south and look for it on the
left side of the road.
This simple log cabin is one of the oldest pioneer
structures north of the Columbia River. There is a glass window in the doorway
and two windows with which to view the stark interior.
Built in 1845 travelers often stopped here. It was also the Jackson Courthouse for a
It is located in a small park beside the road and has
several information plaques.
Lewis County Historical Museum
Located in a former railroad passenger station built by
the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1912 this museum features displays of a
pioneer kitchen, pioneer farming tools, a general store, a blacksmith shop,
logging tools and a saw sharpening shop.
Interstate-5 Exit 79. Turn right
(east) onto Chamber Way
go 0.3 mi SE to end of road and turn right onto N National Ave. Travel south for about 0.5 mi. to West Street. You have arrived.
McFadden Log House
475 SW Chehalis Avenue
the web site
Built in 1859 out of squared
off logs, it is the oldest residence in Chehalis and the oldest
continuously lined-in house in Washington
Take Interstate-5 Exit 77,
turn east, turn right on Chehalis Avenue.
Pennsylvania Historic District
Take Interstate-5 Exit 79 go
east 0.2 mi. to National Ave. Go south 0.5 mi to West Street and turn right then go 5
The area features elegant homes
form the late 1800’s. You will even
find vintage street lamps in the area.
Vintage Motorcycle Museum
545 N Market Blvd
Chehalis, WA 98532
This is unique collection includes pre 1916
motorcycles and an assortment of bicycles from the 1800’s. Access is through the Hotel Washington. Open 9am to 1pm Mon – Fri. Admission Fee.
Lewis County Convention & Visitor Bureau
1401 W Mellen Street
Toll free: 1-800-525-3323
Blue Earth Farms
Vintage Weddings and Event Center
3605 Jackson Highway
Chehalis, WA 98532
Built in the 1940’s, this historic6,000
square foot New England Bank Barn
offers an ideal setting for events such as weddings, family reunions, and corporate functions. On site catering is available. Accommodations at the farm are also available.